WEBSTANDARDS Archives

May 2010

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Ken Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2010 12:15:30 -0500
Aaron,

I absolutely love SVN. I only recently started using it and we are already inseparable.

I'm a student web developer for IT and as the only programmer I am probably the only one that would value it without training so I don't see our department making use of it but it would be awesome to see a U hosted SVN server.

I don't know if department size is the right justification for it as I find it relatively easy to set up once you have an understanding of how it works. It could prove useful especially as staff come and go. All projects I work on are version controlled locally on my computer so when I leave, though I'll probably decide to export them, they will go with me.

It's definitely something the U should look into if there's enough interest from developers. Which I hope there is.

--
Ken Thompson
Student Web Developer