CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2000

From:
Johan Wassélius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:54:29 +0100
Dear fellow Confocalists!

A colleague of mine is about to start label nuclei in cultured human cells
with DAPI or Hoechts. I have only used DAPI in vivo so I am not of much
help to her. However, I though I might help her to get a head start by
brain peaking you guys for a handy-dandy recipe for DAPI or Hoecht staining
in living or fixed cells, as to incubation time and concentrations and such.

Cheers,

Johan
______________________________
At 16:06 2000-03-16 -0500, you wrote:
>We use DAPI and the nucleoli with all their RNA remain unstained, while the
>nuclear DNA stains.  However, you need a UV laser.  Nina Allen>
>Hi Folks,
>>
>>      A colleague wants to stain DNA and view it on
>>a visible-wavelength confocal.  However, she wants
>>a stain that stains only DNA, not RNA and believes
>>that all of the visible-wavelength probes that stain
>>DNA also stain RNA.  [based largely on what's in
>>the Molecular Probes catalog].
>>      Does anyone know of a visible stain that stains
>>DNA either exclusively, or at least more brightly then
>>RNA?
>>
>>   Thanks for any suggestions,
>>Don
>>
>>[We sadly do not have a UV confocal here]
>>
>>Donald M. O'Malley, Ph.D.
>>Department of Biology
>>414 Mugar Hall
>>Northeastern University
>>Boston, MA 02115
>>www.omalleylab.neu.edu
>

>@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
>Nina Stromgren Allen
>Professor, Department of Botany;
>Director, Cellular and Molecular Imaging Facility
>Box 7612, Department of Botany
>North Carolina State University
>Raleigh, NC 27695-7612
>Phone:  919-515-8382 (Office), 515-3525 (Lab), 515-2727 (Department
Secretary)
>Fax: 919-515-3436

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Johan Wassélius