CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2000

From:
Joachim Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 19:36:50 +0100
Johan,

somewhere (was it Methods of Cell Biology?) I read that DAPI is much
more toxic to living cells than Hoechst as it intercalates in DNA in
contrast to Hoechst, which just binds one strand. Maybe somebody who
knows more exactly can give a comment on that?

Joachim

Johan Wassélius wrote:

> Dear fellow Confocalists!
>
> A colleague of mine is about to start label nuclei in cultured human cells
> with DAPI or Hoechts. I have only used DAPI in vivo so I am not of much
> help to her. However, I though I might help her to get a head start by
> brain peaking you guys for a handy-dandy recipe for DAPI or Hoecht staining
> in living or fixed cells, as to incubation time and concentrations and such.

  Joachim Walter, Dipl. Phys.
  Institut für Anthropologie und Humangenetik LMU München
  AG Cremer
  Richard-Wagner-Straße 10/I
  D-80333 München               Tel. +49 - 89-2180-6713
  Germany                       Fax               -6719