CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2000

From:
Craig Daly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 15:12:30 +0000
Hi,

I realise that most of the interest here is in isolated cells or embryos.
However, you may be interested to know that you can give up to 30mg/Kg
Hoechst 33342 intra-venously to a rat and it will survive for several hours
with every tissue (except the brain) taking up the stain.

Blood vessels stained with 10ug/ml (in vitro) show no change in sensitivity
to noradrenaline.  Thus H33342 is relatively non-toxic in vascular smooth
muscle cells.

Craig.

At 09:27 20/03/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I would agree w/ Beat.  I would consider concentrations above 5µg/ml a
>terminal but not fatal staining concentration.  At 5µg/ml hepatocytes can be
>monitored temporally for 8 hours w/o deleterious effects from the dye.
>
>Ramin Rahbari
>PARKE-DAVIS Pharmaceutical Research
>Worldwide Preclinical Safety
>2800 Plymouth Road