CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2000

From:
Bartek Rajwa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 09:33:28 -0400
On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Aryeh M. Weiss wrote:

> I should add that it is very easy to set up anonymous FTP service on OS/2 Warp
> Connect (which is the version you must have to run FTP).

Although setting up an anonymous ftp site seems to be the simplest
solution to the problem discussed, I would recommend something more
complicated (but maybe more elegant?).

OS/2 Warp Connect can act as a network server and/or client, sharing
its directories with other computers and/or accessing remote
directories. It can use Netbios over Netbeui or Netbios over TCP/IP
protocols to connect. There is no problem linking OS/2 to any other
Netbios-aware machine (like Windows 3.1/9x/NT or Unix running SAMBA).
Mac native protocol is AppleShare, so creating OS/2 - Mac connection
requires a software which can give Netbios capabilities to Mac (or
vice versa). There is such a software: it is called DAVE
(http://www.thursby.com). DAVE might be used to all Netbios-type
connectivity, which means a Mac computer will be able to access files
from Windows, OS/2 and Samba.

As far as I know there was a Mac client for OS/2 Warp Server. I am
wondering if this client software can be used in peer-to-peer
environment with OS/2 Warp Connect...

Other possibility is to install on both computers a third network
protocol which they could use. Enter NFS. There is a NFS server for
OS/2 (by IBM) and a NFS client for Mac (Thursby, again).

Happy networking...

Bartek Rajwa

Ps: I have no commercial afilliation with Thursby.

``Does anybody else find irony in the fact that Bill Gates says he's
trying to write a stable OS, and Linus claims he's trying to take over the
world?'' Anonymous