CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2000

From:
Ian Gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 08:42:53 +0930
We have used gelatine embedding to hold small bits of tissue (autonomic
ganglia) for sectioning prior to doing immunolabelling for TEM... After
a lot of mucking around, we ended up using a 20% solution of molten
gelatine dissolved in PBS to embed the prefixed tissue. The big trick
then is to refix the gelatine block containing the tissue so that
everything is held on place and the gelatine is tough enough to
withstand sectioning on a Vibratome (or whatever you section with). (The
details are in Murphy et al (1998) J Comp Neurol,398:551-567). I would
expect that you would have to play around with the length of fixation
and so on to suit your tissue and the size of your block etc...

Hope that helps

IAN

--
Professor Ian Gibbins