CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2001

From:
Shawna Fleming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 07:37:43 -0500
We have viral vectors that co-express GFP with other proteins in rat
tissues & routinely embed them in hydroxyethyl methacrylate
(Technovit 8100 from Heraeus). We use the protocol detailed in the
product literature and find that we are able to observe GFP
expression quite well after this procedure. I expect that we lose
detectable signal in areas where the expression was low, however in
some areas, we see very high levels of fluorescence. Briefly, the
protocol calls for overnight fixation in 4% paraformaldehyde,
overnight wash with sucrose-containing PBS, and a short acetone
dehydration prior to infiltration and embedding.

In these tissues, we are also able to see strong GFP expression
patterns if we fix in 4% paraformaldehyde prior to embedding in OCT
for cryo-sectioning. We have assumed (perhaps naively) that the
freezing without fixation causes the cytoplasmic GFP to leak out of
the cells when they're rehydrated and processed for
immunofluorescence. Whatever the mechanism, we do lose fluorescence
if we freeze tissues or cells directly. Fixation seems to help
preserve the fluorescence.

I have also stained fixed tissue with propidium iodide after triton
treatment and haven't noticed loss of GFP signal in these tissues.

Good luck!
Shawna