CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2001

From:
John Runions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:54:36 +0000
Dear Shawna,

I am astounded that you can acetone dehydrate and embed in HMA and still see GFP
fluorescence.  This is good news and I will try again with an acetone series.  As
far as freezing goes, I was unsure about where the GFP was going so I tested
freezing and immersion in OCT seperately.  Freezing seems to irreversibly quench
GFP fluorescence whereas immersion in OCT is not so bad in the short term simply
because it doesn't penetrate very quickly into the tissues.  Root hairs lost their
fluorescence first in OCT and other peripheral tissues showed signs of dehydration
and quenching of fluorescence after a couple of hours.  When I check cryosectioned
material, there is a low level of GFP and YFP fluorescence suitable for screening
by confocal microscopy but it is not visible by epifluorescence steromicroscope.

--
C. John Runions, Ph. D.
Department of Plant Sciences

email: [log in to unmask]