CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2001

From:
Shawna Fleming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:39:10 -0500
Hi John,

Our viral vectors express GFP at a very high level by 36 hours
post-infection. At the earlier timepoints, we have difficulty
identifying infected areas by epifluorescence, which we have always
attributed to attenuation of fluorescence in the fixation protocol. I
haven't tried looking at the early timepoints by confocal, which is a
great idea! We feel that the signal we are seeing in infected tissues
is specific, since we can see positive cells alongside negative
cells, it localizes appropriately in the cells, and it's only
observed in the FITC filter set (unlike much of the autofluorescent
signal in these tissues which is visualized with both the FITC and
the rhodamine filters)

I meant to provide a reference for embedding the GFP-expressing
tissues in Technovit 8100. We got the idea from this reference:

Ohta H, et al. Regulation of proliferation and differentiation in
spermatogonial stem cells: the role of c-kit and its ligand SCF.
Development. 2000 May;127(10):2125-31.

Your idea about the protein being quenched by freezing is
interesting. I haven't tried to look for the protein in frozen
tissues using an anti-GFP antibody, but would be interested to know
if anyone on the list has. It would be nice to know whether it is
still there but not functional, or if it is leaking out during the
freezing process. Incidentally, we also have observed GFP loss when
we do "touch preps," which is a messy technique in which the tissue
is cut into pieces and the cut ends are touched to a poly-l-lys
slide, dried down, then rehydrated and processed for
immunofluorescence. We have assumed that the disruption of the cell
membrane which occurs with drying was leading to loss of the GFP from
the cell, but again, we haven't tested these ideas. We have just
avoided doing anything with the unfixed tissue.