CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2001

From:
Tim Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 06:55:21 -0400
Considering the principles of the optics, it makes sense to me that you
would have
seen a doublet.  The wollaston prism, in principle sets up 2 separate light
paths
with one being spatially separated from the other by a few tenths of a
micron
(my understanding).  In principle, perhaps there is a way to split off the
signal so that the "fluorescence" path is fed through it's own set of
polarizers.  You can determine, theoretically, the directions of
polarization of the 2 separated beams.  They are 90 degrees separated from
each other in polarization, you can then use a polarizer between the
objective and the camera in order to block out one of the 2 beams.  This
would
leave just one beam-path.  The down-side, of course, is that you will give
up significant
signal, because you have to first split the beam off (signal/2) and then
block one of the
2 polarized beams (another signal/2 loss).