CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2001

From:
Stephen Cody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:54:46 +1000
Dear David,

Nikon have three types of water immersion lenses. As you correctly point out
some are designed for coverslip correction, others are dipping type lenses
with no correction collar. However they do have one other lens that is a
hybrid called a multi-immersion lens (CFI Plan Fluor 20X MI 0.75NA). The lab
you are in may have one of these. This has a correction collar and
anti-spill "moat" like the lenses for use with coverslips. However this lens
may be used with Oil, Glycerin, or water, with or without coverslip (ie. six
different conditions [possibly only five!]).

The markings on the correction collar indicate the various settings; the
equals sign ( == ) indicates with coverslip, the not equals sign ( =/= )
indicates no coverslip. I presume these lenses are designed for 170um thick
coverslips, but if you move the collar slightly back from the == symbol you
should be able to get a rough correction for thinner coverslips.

No commercial affiliation with Nikon.

Regards
Stephen H. Cody,
Colon Molecular and Cell Biology Laboratory,
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research,
Post Office Royal Melbourne Hospital,
Parkville, Victoria 3050, Australia.

Tel: +61 3 9341 3155 (BH)   +61 3 9341 3158 (@work AH)