CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2001

From:
Philip Oshel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:46:50 -0500
Confocalers,

This is the second round. I have not received enough responses to
give any meaningful data. If you are interested in the results of
this survey, but have not responded for your facility, please do so.
Thanks!

This is a survey that was passed out at the Facility Managers Meeting
at this year's M&M meeting. We've only gotten 6 responses so far, and
many more are needed for valid results (although obviously only one
answer per facility). Please take a couple of minutes to fill this
form in, and email back to me. Thank you!

Phil

MICROSCOPY  FACILITY  SUPPORT

This survey will help compile the nature and amount of support
provided to microscopy facilities by universities, colleges, and
research institutes. We would like to determine how much facility
support is provided by the institution, and how much must be
generated by user fees or other sources, on a per cent basis.

If we get enough responses to have valid data, we will post the
results on the microscopy listserver and send them to the MSA
bulletin.
Names of institutions will not be included in the reported
results.

Institution:
Location:
Nature of institution (Academic, Commercial, private research, etc.)

Type of Facility (institution core, satellite, departmental, etc):

(Place an 'X' by the appropriate answer)
Predominately:
   Biological
   Materials
   Both

User base:
   Service
   Multi-user
   Both

Type of microscopes:
   SEM
   FESEM
   ESEM or LV
   TEM
   FETEM
   Major optical (Specify)
   Scanning Probe (specify)
   Other (specify)

Approximately what *per cent* of the funds for each of the following
is provided by
A) your institution, B) user fees, or  C) grants

Salaries:
A)
B)
C)

Instrument Maintenance (Service contracts, instrument insurance, etc):
A)
B)
C)

Replacement of existing equipment:
A)
B)
C)

Purchase of new equipment (not replacement for but addition to
existing equipment):
A)
B)
C)

Supplies:
A)
B)
C)

Other operating expenses:
A)
B)
C)

Are there other microscope facilities at your institution? if
so, please indicate approximate number having electron
microscopes. Ideally we would like a form filled out for each
major facility (multiple instruments) at your institution if
there are more than one.

Please include additional information such as novel funding
ideas for your facility or for others at your institution.

Please email your responses to Philip Oshel
Philip Oshel
Supervisor, AMFSC and BBPIC microscopy facilities
Department of Animal Sciences
University of Wisconsin
1675 Observatory Drive
Madison,  WI  53706 - 1284