CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2001

From:
Glen MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:34:04 -0700
This is a virus that takes over Microscoft email applications and sends
itself to everyone in the address book of the infected computer. It
masquerades as an attached .zip file.   On the microscopy listserver we got
hit from someone whose computer was infected, but was on vacation and
unaware of its behavior.  The salutation may appear awkward because is
simply pulls out the name found in the victims address book. (be tasteful
when putting nicknames in your address book!) A search of the Microscopy
listserver archives, or a web search on the 'zip virus' will provide
details.  Please be aware that there are now new viruses masquerading as
.pdf, tiff, gif and other image files which spread when the file is opened.

Regards,
Glen

ray hester wrote:

> I send this out in case others are receiving the same messages.
>
> Over the last couple of days I've received several messages from 'Sandeep
> Vansal' whose return e-mail address is indicated as
> [log in to unmask] , but trying to reply you get a 'following
> address had permanent fatal errors, reason: can't create (user) output
> file'.
>
> The e-mail subject lines have been variously:
>
> 'Resig-AJ'
> 'Immuno-404'
> 'protein assay 4-20-00'
>
> The e-mail always has an attachment indicated which I haven't opened for
> obvious reasons.
>
> The message is always:
>
> "Hi! How are you?
>
> I send you this file inorder to have your advice.
>
> See you later.  Thanks."
>
> To my knowledge I don't know a 'Sandeep Vansal' (but at my age, I could
> easily have forgotten perhaps a past acquaintance!).
>
> I searched the U. Penn site for this name and found no trace.
>
> It's probably nothing, but you never know.
>
> Ray Hester

Glen MacDonald
   Microscopy and Imaging Facility
  University of Washington Core for Communication Research
  Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center
  Box 357923
  University of Washington
  Seattle, WA  98195-7923
  (206) 616-4156        (206) 616-1828 fax
  C:>The box said "Requires Windows95 or better". So I bought a Macintosh.