CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2001

From:
Barbara Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 12:52:18 -0700
Dave:

First stop: your microscope rep.  These oils are actually engineered to
meet the dispersion and refractive index characteristics of the objective.

Second issue is, certainly, autofluorescence.  However, the rep should be
able to answer that question.

I know that at one point, Zeiss was using Cargille oil.  ... but again,
suggest you discuss that with the rep.

The bottom line: the oil is just as much an optical component as the
coverslip, condenser, and objective.

Hope this helps,
Barbara Foster
Microscopy/Microscopy Education
125 Paridon Street, Suite 102
Springfield, MA 01118
PH: 413-746-6931  FX: 413-746-9311  Web: www.MME-Microscopy.com/education

"Why didn't they teach us that sooner?"  ... probably because no one
thought to call MME about customized, on-site courses.  Offered in all
areas of microscopy, sample prep,and image analysis, they make an immediate
impact on your productivity.