CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2001

From:
Jason Kirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:28:24 -0400
Alice,

I think you'll quickly find that user costs will never cover total costs of
running an image facility.  We here at CBIT charge $45/hour academic and
$100/hour industry.  Hundreds of users have been trained or serviced on our
4 confocals in the past 3 years.  Their user fees ($650/year per PI) don't
even cover the service contracts on the equipment.  Staff are covered by
grants and other funding, but establishing a facility like this can help
tremendously in obtaining grants (like SIG) to support the facility.  Just
my 2 pennies.

-Jason

Jason Kirk
Center for Biomedical Imaging Technology
University of Connecticut Health Center
263 Farmington Ave.
Farmington, CT 06030
Ph: (860)679-4686