CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2001

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 08:48:16 -0500
From:
"<Russell> <McConnell>" <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Comments:
To: Anil kumar Sharma <[log in to unmask]>, Anil kumar Sharma <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Anil,
You are right about the Leica SP2, it can generate an emission profile, and no
it is not as good as a spectrometer, but it is good enough for most
applications.  I have used one PMT to scan most of the visible spectrum in one
pass (460-800nm), although it could be used for the blue portion of the
spectrum as well (we just don't have a blue laser, so not much point in
scanning down there).  The way that Leica set up the system is basically a
series of mirrors positioned in front of the PMT's that bounce unsampled light
to the next PMT.  In the 'spectral scanning' mode, what you are doing is
scanning the same area of the specimen while moving the opening in the mirrors
in front of one PMT.  This lets a single PMT sequentially sample a portion of
the spectrum at a time (the mirrors have a wide enough range of motion that any
of the PMT's can be used for this).  You then generate your emission profile by
plotting the intensity values of the acquired stack of images (which is done
quite nicely by the Leica software, under the quantify tab).  If you have
further questions, feel free to contact me off the list.

Helpfully yours (hopefully),
Russell