CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2001

From:
Jason Kirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:32:19 -0500
Hi John,

This is the same question Kathy had and it has the same answer.  The reason
you see inconsistencies on different Mac's is most likely the video codec
(short for compressor/decompressor) you are using to create the movie.  It
has nothing to do with the Quicktime application.  In order for any video
application to playback a movie, it must first decode the bitstream from
your digital file.  And how can a player decipher a bitstream?  CODECS!
Just make sure you have the codec you are using to create the movie
installed on any machine you wish to playback the file.  Be aware that
depending on the software installed, Mac's will have different codecs.
Premiere, for example, will install a host of codecs not normally found in
the Mac OS.  You may have to install any secondary codecs by hand.

As I pointed out before, the DiVX codec is Mac and PC compatible and will
take that 2 MB movie and compress it down to a few hundred K without loss of
quality.  Try downloading it and using it to create/playback movies.  I
guarantee you'll be impressed.  Here is the link.

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/index.html#codecs

Have fun!

-Jason

Jason Kirk
Center for Biomedical Imaging Technology
University of Connecticut Health Center
263 Farmington Ave.
Farmington, CT 06030
Ph: (860)679-4686