CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2001

From:
Glen MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:41:11 -0800
That is strange.  Cinepak can be played by Quicktime Player, even
without the $30 upgrade to QuickTime Pro.  Perhaps you have an extremely
old version of QT, anything newer than version 3 will definitely handle
Cinepak, Sorenson, etc.  You can get a free upgrade to version 5 from
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/ or www.tucows.com.
The appearance on the Mac may be an issue of monitor settings for
resolution, color depth and gamma.

Regards,
Glen

Kathy Spencer wrote:

> Thank you Tarik!
>         For the whole list, Tarik suggested that I use the Cinepak export filter
> to get my QuickTime movie to show up on the Mac. I guess the problem was
> that PCs already have the export filters, but the Macs don't. They can be
> downloaded from
> <(http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa/wa/query?type=tex
> t&val=indeo+downloads)>. Once I used that universal filter, the movie was
> fine.Although I do think the Intel filter gave a better result, not
> everyone has it installed.
>         Thank you for all the suggestions!
>         Kathy
>
> At 01:34 PM 12/4/01 -0500, you wrote:
> >try using the Cinepak Codec by Radius as your compressor under video
> settings before
> >you export the movie
> >
> >Kathy Spencer wrote:
> >
> >> Hello All!
> >>         This list has been so helpful to me, I'll try again with another
> question.
> >>         I have built a QuickTime movie in Adobe Premiere that plays
> wonderfully on
> >> PCs...it will NOT play on Macs. It is a .mov file. This was the only format
> >> where I could get the file size under 2MB. If I export as .avi, it's too
> >> big. The on-line journal requested .mov, but they must have Macs, because
> >> they cannot see it. Any suggestions?
> >>         Thanks!
> >>         Kathy
> >>
> >> Kathy Spencer
> >> The Scripps Research Institute
> >> 10550 N. Torrey Pines Road
> >> IMM 24
> >> La Jolla, CA 92037
> >> (858) 784-9372
> >
> >--
> >Tarik Haydar, Ph.D.
> >Yale University Medical School
> >Section of Neurobiology
> >Sterling Hall of Medicine, C-319
> >333 Cedar Street
> >New Haven, CT 06520
> >
> >Phone: (203) 785-5418
> >Fax: (203) 785-5263
> >

> Kathy Spencer
> The Scripps Research Institute
> 10550 N. Torrey Pines Road
> IMM 24
> La Jolla, CA 92037
> (858) 784-9372

Glen MacDonald
   Microscopy and Imaging Facility
  University of Washington Core for Communication Research
  Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center
  Box 357923
  University of Washington
  Seattle, WA  98195-7923
  (206) 616-4156        (206) 616-1828 fax
  C:>The box said "Requires Windows95 or better". So I bought a Macintosh.