CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2001

From:
Jacqui Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jacqui Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 16:33:24 +1300
Dear Confocal Users,

My apologies to those on the new Leica List who have already seen this
message but since I haven't yet had any replies, I thought it worth
sending out to the wider list.

Our Leica TCS 4D which we have had running reliably since 1993 has
developed a problem. We have been noticing that it has been a bit slower
to boot up recently (from #20 to ready) but put this down to on-going
network problems.

However, on Friday after finally coming up with the "ready" prompt,
there was an additional message in the terminal window "waiting for micr
diag". When we then tried to open up any windows, eg. panel box, scan,
etc., we got a constant beeping from the OS9 computer below followed by
various scanware error messages. We have tried it several times since
and sometimes, it never actually comes up with the ready prompt. Since
this problem coincided with our faculty network manager reconfiguring
our network, we thought initially it was due to that since all our SGIs
fell off the network. However, we have now established (we think) that
it is something different.

We have contacted Leica in Australia however we understand that for
personal reasons, the expert there may not be able to get back to us
promptly. However, we thought it might be worth asking some other users
whether they had encountered a similar problem.

Our computer wizard thinks it may be due to a failure on the msc board.
The driver crate has power to it so it is not a simple power problem.
The joystick is working fine.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? We know there is not a lot of
expertise out there on 4D systems but if anyone can help that would be
great.

With thanks,

Jacqui.

Jacqueline (Jacqui) Ross