CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2002

Sender:
From:
Elaine Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:57:28 -0700

We installed a Dell SQL server with half a terrabyte Raid array for
data storage from the TEM and SEM last January. We use a tape back up
system. We use Quartz PCI as the software program for data storage
and telepresencing from the microscopes.  Now that we have the
building wired for fast internet connections we are just about to add
the light microscope and one of the confocal microscopes to the
system.  Because of this, I have followed this thread on the list
with interest. I am not anticipating any problem, but you never know.

When we bought our system we were advised to buy everything from one
source (the server, raid array and backup) so that it all works
together.  This was good advise.  Only once have I had occasion to
call Dell about a problem. I was very impressed with the service. He
talked me through it over the phone and knew exactly what the problem
was. We had had a power outage and although the system had a UPS
backup, the system went down (it happened at 5am) and an error came
everytime I went to boot it up. It turned out that a small floppy
disc was in the floppy drive and it caused the error. Such a simple
solution to what seemed like a huge problem!

The tape backup automatically backs up the system every night and is
very much a hands off system. We had a good sys admin person set the
whole thing up and so far so good. We have looked after everything
since with minimal computer expertise.

Because of the telepresencing on the ems, we needed a firewall which
would allow fast throughput. We chose Netscreen and it has worked
very well.  The cheaper firewalls slowed up the video streaming too
much.

Quarz PCI allows users to download their images over the net. We
encourage users to backup their data onto CDs or DVDs at home.  When
our system was down even though it was only for a few hours, it
brought it home that even with our own tape backup, if the server is
down, you cannot retrieve your data. And with Murphy's law, it is
likely to occur when you are trying to put a grant together and you
have but hours to do it.  Not that anyone would procrastinate to the
last minute of course!
Elaine

--
Dr. Elaine Humphrey