CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2002

Sender:
From:
Jerry Sedgewick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:08:19 -0600

I am attempting to image at 2 ms resolution on a Bio-Rad 1024, only because
I read that it could be done in the accompanying Bio-Rad manuals.  Fast
imaging was also alluded to by the person who sold this device to our core
facility years ago (I was told a line scan should give me 100 frames per
second).

At any rate, I have created a method for single wavelength (not ratio)
imaging using Fluo-3, employing only one PMT.  In the time course component
of the Laser Sharp software, I have chosen XT line scanning with a box size
at its smallest (160X160?).  The user-defined box I had hoped to make
resulted only in crashing the computer.  I zoomed in to create what was
listed as an 80 micron line.  I did not collect images at all, and the scan
rate was set at Normal.  For all practical purposes, these settings should
have resulted in something closer to 2 ms resolution than the best I was
able to get: ~3 scans per second.

I had hoped to get an answer from technical help at Bio-Rad, but they
simply gave me wrong advice.  So I appeal to this group to determine
whether I should expect scan rates necessary for calcium spark acquisition
with a 1024 (and, if so, what is the elusive thing I have overlooked?), or
whether I should bag it.

Jerry

Jerry Sedgewick
Program Director