CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2002

Sender:
From:
Stephen Cody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 11:21:42 +1100

Dear Khai,

Placing filters such as barrier filters or even an excitation filter
into the filter blocks is no problem. They were originally designed this
way for the MRC 500 and 600.

Replacing the dichroic mirrors is more difficult. Replacing the dichroic
in the secondary filter block, ie. The block used to split light between
PMT1 and PMT2 is easier than replacing the dichroic in the primary
filter block, where alignment issues can really come into play. It is
possible to lose you laser line and it can be difficult to find again.

As for the software: If you are only placing filters into the
filterblocks there really aren't any changes you can make other than
perhaps indicating that there is a custom filter block. If you plan
placing extra filters in the barrier filterwheels etc. it is possible to
alter the software to show these changes. If you want the software to
show the changes you have made you'll need to edit the file lsrsharp.hw.
Caution! If you don't do this properly your confocal may become erratic
in operation. Always make a backup of this file before attempting any
changes. Editing this file is NOT for the faint hearted. Only attempt if
you are very confident with what you are doing.

Hints: "//" means a remark
Usually have to edit two different lines of lsrsharp.hw for each change.
You'll need to incorporate a label for the filter eg. "540/10BP" and
then you'll need to give that filter a part number (pn). If you have
ordered the filter through Bio-Rad you could find out what the
appropriate part number is, or just use the part number "999999"
indicating it is a custom filter.

And remember!!

If you don't do this properly your confocal may become erratic in
operation. Always make a backup of this file before attempting any
changes.

Stephen H. Cody,

Microscopy Manager,
Central Resource for Advanced Microscopy,
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research,
Post Office Royal Melbourne Hospital,
Parkville, Victoria 3050, Australia.

Tel:   +61 3 9341 3155 (BH)