CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2003

From:
Judy Trogadis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:34:18 -0500

I would be interested in this list myself, however, I think the idea of having a single license for such a multitude of software packages may not be practical in a multi-user facility. People generally use programs that a) they are familiar with b) are available and c) are easiest to use.

It would be difficult for a facility manager to become familiar with all the packages - to train new users,  and, since there is some overlap in the functionalities of the programs you mentioned, probably what would happen is that some programs would be used a lot and others not at all. From my own personal experience, I have a mailing list of users and even though I have sent detailed instructions for a new program because it can do a practical function easily, people hesitate in switching.

I would suggest compiling a list of software packages and then choose one in each category; e.g. one deconvolution, one 3D reconstruction, etc. and buy a couple of licenses for each - may be cheaper, as well.
Judy

Judy Trogadis
Bio-Imaging Coordinator
St. Michael's Hospital, 8Queen
30 Bond St.
Toronto, ON M5B 1W8
Canada
ph:  416-864-6060  x6337
pager: 416-685-9219
fax: 416-864-6043

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/11/03 08:30AM >>>

Dear all,

We are in the process of making a wish-list for software for a new Bioimaging
Center which is to be opened in summer 2004. Our idea is that we would like at
least one license of all those packages which either (a) confocalists and
deconvolutionists usually work with or (b) are excellent anyway. We assume that
a 3D or 4D image stack is already on the disk and go from there. Obviously,
none of it will be bought this year but we have to provide an idea now of how
much money should be allocated to this purpose.

So far, with the help of the confocal archive, I came up with the following
packages:

AutoDeblur 3-D Deconvolution Software Gold Edition with AutoVisualize
VoxBlast * 3D Visualisation
Metamorph Offline Imaging Software with Modules for the deconvolution with
    (a) PSF and (b) blind deconvolution
Image Pro Plus
Amira
Adobe ELP Collection,
Huygens Deconvolution
Bitplane Imaris
Improvision Volocity
and of course my favorite ImageJ :-)

Can you think of any other must-haves?

Thanks for you input

Steffen

=====
Steffen Dietzel, Dr. rer. nat.
Department Bioligie II - Humangenetik
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Richard-Wagner-Str. 10, 80333 München, Germany
phone: +49/89/2180-6728
fax:   +49/89/2180-6719
e-mail: [log in to unmask]  Web:  http://www.dietzellab.de

Bis zu 100 MB Speicher bei http://premiummail.yahoo.de