CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2003

Sender:
From:
Christian Lohr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:11:29 +0200

>>I´m using a BioRad 1024 equipped with a 100 mW Ar laser. While imaging
>>Ca2+ signals of fluo-4-loaded smooth muscle cells we found that using a
>>3x digital zoom we were unable to get even small responses. Reducing
>>the zoom below 2x resolved the problem, and cells started to give perfect
>>
>>Any explanations? :(
>>

>You killed your cells is the only thing I can suggest!
>
>                                                         Guy

Which then should result in a big permanent Ca2+ increase! Were it the same cells that didn't respond at zoom 3x but afterwards at zoom 1x? This would check for viability of the cells. And digital zoom usually means blowing up the pixels by software, I guess you used the real zoom of the microscope controler?

Chris

Dr. Christian Lohr
Abteilung für Allgemeine Zoologie
Universität Kaiserslautern