CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2003

Sender:
From:
Anthony Mc Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 15:53:57 +0100

Hi,

I have a question regarding the use of an appropriate control in a series of
experiments.  I am monitoring the intracellular fate of a fluorescently
labelled (TMR) cationic lipid-like gene delivery vector.  A colleague
thought I should include a control to determine if the TMR is potentially
increasing uptake (I know from transfections that these compounds are taken
up pretty well).  They suggested using a TMR-derivative of a compound which
is known NOT to be taken up by cells.  So, my questions are:

1. Would such a control be relevant (non-uptaken compound vs compounds
designed to promote uptake)

2.  If so,  what compounds might be suitable (would free TMR?)

3.  Does anyone else have experience with TMR increasing uptake into cells

Many thanks for any help in this regard

Anthony Mc Mahon

Dept of Pharmaceutics
School of Pharmacy