CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2003

Sender:
From:
Rosemary White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 07:17:08 +1000

Couldn't agree more.  I tried a few cross-linking agents some years ago
when I was having trouble preserving cell structure, and some preserve
ultrastructure beautifully, at least at the light level.  A characteristic
of glutaraldehyde or formaldehyde fixation in plant cells is that the more
delicate endomembrane systems tend to vesiculate - these crosslinkers
preserved this perfectly.  At the time I needed to do antibody staining
after fixation, and the tissue was so well-fixed it could not be labelled.
I figured out a way to do the labelling with formaldehyde so have never
followed this up, but it would be worthwhile, esp. with all the new
water-soluble cross-linkers.  Could be very worthwhile for fixing
GFP-tagged cell components.