CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2003

From:
Ian Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:14:48 +1000

Ian Harper wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Gary Laevsky wrote:
> >
> > Search the CONFOCAL archive at
> > http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
> >
> > Hello Listers,
> >
> > I apologize to those of you that are receiving a double post.  That
> > said,  I'm looking for the "best" source for an objective warmer.
> >
> > These lists have been very helpful in the past as I'm sure they will be again.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > Gary S. Laevsky,  Ph.D.
> > Research Associate
> > The Scripps Research Institute
> > 10550 N. Torrey Pines Road/IMM-24
> > La Jolla, CA 92037
> > (858) 784-9372
>
> For general information: Objective heaters (heating device plus
> controller) are commercially available from:
>
> 1. Bioptechs
> (http://www.bioptechs.com/Instructions/Obj_Htr_i/obj_htr_i.html).
> The manufacturers recommend the removal of the objective sleeve so allow
> adequate contact between heating loop and objective barrel. A thermistor
> against the objective barrel senses the temp and is part of feedback
> control.  Two heater loop sizes avail.
>
> 2. PeCon (http://www.pe-con.de/PeCon/PeCon-News.htm).. for specific
> Zeiss and Leica lenses. Design look rather like the Bioptechs system -
> does anyone know if this is a rebadged product ?
>
> 3. Our local uni instrument maker designed and built a system for us
> (now available through a company Scientific concepts
> (http://www.scientificconcepts.com.au/) - 'scuse the plug but people
> might be interested in other live cell imaging accessories they have. (I
> get no kickbacks, in case you're wondering, am merely a satisfied
> owner). I suggest you make contact with S.C. via the website as the
> heater does not yet feature on the website. The design is based on a
> metal heating cylinder made to fit each lens (not an issue really, as,
> for example, all our Olympus immersion lenses have more or less the same
> diameter). Contact area between heater and barrel is large, and when
> coupled with a heating chamber at same temperature, I have measured
> <0.2ºC variation over the radius of a 25mm coverslip. (Compare this to a
> 5ºC under similar conditions with non-heated immersion lens !!!).

For sake of completeness, a few more to add to the list:

4. 20/20 Technology
http://www.20-20tech.com/objective_heater.htm
To fit Leica, Nikon and Olympus lenses.

5. Zeiss
http://www.zeiss.de/C12567BE0045ACF1/allBySubject/2E19B0FD92393E6CC1256CB400326879

6. Scientifica Life Sciences - a low cost thermal foil wrapping for
objective heating.
http://www.scientifica.uk.com/a.html
http://www.scientifica.uk.com/a_categorydetails.php?id=6

Ian.

--
>< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< ><
Dr Ian S. Harper, Director
Monash Micro Imaging
The Microscopy & Imaging Research Facility
Building 13C, Monash University,
Clayton, VIC 3800, Australia

Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: +61 3 9905 5635;  Fax: +61 3 9905 2766
Mobile: 0408 314168

General enquiries: [log in to unmask]
http://www.microimaging.monash.org