CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2003

From:
Nina Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:41:31 -0400

I have had this problem with a Zeiss high NA oil immersion lens and a
similar one with a Leica water immersion lens ...on the inverted microscope.
It is pretty sad.... We use these lenses a great deal and wearing down of
the glue may be part of the problem.
Nina Allen
On 4/29/03 1:25 PM, "Tom Gore" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Ken Orndorff reported an oil leak in his 1.4 na lens.  We recently had an
> oil leak in our Zeiss Plan Apo 40 from our LSM 410 and unfortunately, since
> it was on an invert, the oil did go into the lens, collected on the
> diaphragm and, when that was closed, transferred oil onto the inner lens
> surface.
>
> The lens has now been away for repairs for far too long and Zeiss has been
> unable to lend us a replacement lens so the LSM is of limited use.  This is
> the third time we have had such a problem, once previously with the 40x
> Plan Apo and once with the 63x Plan Apo, in spite of removing the lenses
> when not in use and putting them upright in their cases.  Each time Zeiss
> has been very slow to return our lens and charged a huge amount for the
> repair.
>
> We wick off most of the oil with lens tissue and use 1,1,1 trichloroethane
> sparingly to remove the rest.
> _____________________________________
> Tom Gore, Advanced Imaging Laboratory
> Biology Department, University of Victoria
> Box 3020, Station CSC,
> Victoria, BC, V8W 3N5 Canada
> voice (250) 721-7134   fax (250) 721-7120
> web:  http://web.uvic.ca/ail/

Nina Stromgren Allen
Professor of Botany
Director, Cellular and Molecular Imaging Facility
Department of Botany
Box 7612
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7612