CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2003

From:
Tamara Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:15:47 -0600

Sarah -

OK, this may be a bit too fiddly, but could they grow their finicky cells
on plstic coverslips (Thermanox or plain old plastic), then invert those
onto long glass coverslips for imaging on your inverted 'scope? Works
wonderfully, but you have to keep in mind that the coverslip-coverslip
sandwich is flimsy.

Tamara

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Sarah Locknar wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Hi-
> I have a couple of users who want to image cells grown in plastic
> microwell plates on an inverted scope.  Of course, the plastic is too
> thick to image through, but when I suggested that they grow them on
> glass coverslips they replied that the cells don't stick as well and
> grow differently on similarly coated glass.  Is it possible to buy
> microwell plates with thinner plastic bottoms, and where would I buy
> such a thing?  In previous postings I got the feeling that the only
> available ones had glass coverslip bottoms.  Also, would the images
> suffer greatly when imaging through plastic versus glass?  Would a
> better option be to just get a longer-working distance lens?
> Thanks in advance-
> Sarah

> Sarah Locknar, Ph.D.
> Director, Neuroscience COBRE Imaging/Physiology Core
> University of Vermont
> 802-656-0413

 Tamara Howard
 Department of Cell Biology and Physiology
 University of New Mexico - Health Sciences Center
 Albuquerque, NM 87131