CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2003

From:
Jens Rietdorf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 20:21:07 +0100

vivascience (www.vivascience.com, [log in to unmask]) and integrated
biodiagnostics (www.ibidi.de, [log in to unmask]) sell slides, dishes etc.
with thin plastic bottoms.

vivascience plastic is well suited for fluorescence and phase (no
experience so far with DIC). We use it for growth of dendritic cells as
well as HeLa, Vero, ptk but also for observation of tissues. The tricky
thing here is the RI of the plastic is 1,35 so we use it with water
lenses without coverglass correction (e.g. dip in lenses but there is a
fancy 60x Apochromat 1.2 NA lense for use without coverglass from Zeiss
which is great).

integrated biodiagnostics claim their chamber slides is  suited for
Phase, DIC and fluorescence (again DIC not tested by us). We got it ony
recently, so not much experience until now. This plastic has RI 1,5 and
is used with oil immersion lenses.

greiner (www.greiner-lab.de) sells multiwell plates with plastic bottom,
RI 1.53. Not tested yet.

Cheers, jens

Sarah Locknar schrieb:

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Hi-
>I have a couple of users who want to image cells grown in plastic
>microwell plates on an inverted scope.  Of course, the plastic is too
>thick to image through, but when I suggested that they grow them on
>glass coverslips they replied that the cells don't stick as well and
>grow differently on similarly coated glass.  Is it possible to buy
>microwell plates with thinner plastic bottoms, and where would I buy
>such a thing?  In previous postings I got the feeling that the only
>available ones had glass coverslip bottoms.  Also, would the images
>suffer greatly when imaging through plastic versus glass?  Would a
>better option be to just get a longer-working distance lens?
>Thanks in advance-
>Sarah

>Sarah Locknar, Ph.D.
>Director, Neuroscience COBRE Imaging/Physiology Core
>University of Vermont
>802-656-0413

Dr. Jens Rietdorf
EMBL, Meyerhofstr.1,