CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2003

From:
Peter Van Osta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:28:15 +0200

Hi,

I can only comment on plasic bottom plates. We have been using COSTAR
plates (by Corning) for our microscopy based system for several years
now and it works fine for our cell and model organism work. Their
special optics plates have black, opaque walls, and ultra thin, clear
bottoms for improved optical performance in fluorescent-based assays. We
use these plates (mainly 96 well and 384 ) with short working distance
and high NA objectives (40x 0.75 NA and 63x 0.8 NA) for low-light
fluorescence in combination with itensified cameras. They have a bottom
which is flat enough to allow the use of these short working distance
lenses and still run the system at high speed (about 100 plates per
day). Their price allows us to run high-volume assays at a reasonable
price, but if the price per plate is not an issue there probably are
more options possible such as glass bottom plates.

An alternative for the COSTAR plates is Greiner, but I myself don't have
enough experience with their plates.

Note: I have no comercial interest in any assay plate provider and my
message here is based on my own (limited) experience.

Best regards,

Peter Van Osta

Union Biometrica N.V./S.A.
European Scientific Operations (ESO)