CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2003

From:
Florian Ulrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:24:36 +0200

Dear plastic well plate users...

...now that you mention it, I am trying to do DIC imaging on cultured
cells on 96 well plates using an inverted scope. When compared to
glass coverslips, DIC optics seem to be significantly worse, which I
guess is due to the microstructure of the plastic material. Is there
a solution to this problem, with other words: are there plastics 96
well plates that perform well in DIC?

Thanks in advance,

Florian

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Hi,
>
>I can only comment on plasic bottom plates. We have been using COSTAR
>plates (by Corning) for our microscopy based system for several years
>now and it works fine for our cell and model organism work. Their
>special optics plates have black, opaque walls, and ultra thin, clear
>bottoms for improved optical performance in fluorescent-based assays. We
>use these plates (mainly 96 well and 384 ) with short working distance
>and high NA objectives (40x 0.75 NA and 63x 0.8 NA) for low-light
>fluorescence in combination with itensified cameras. They have a bottom
>which is flat enough to allow the use of these short working distance
>lenses and still run the system at high speed (about 100 plates per
>day). Their price allows us to run high-volume assays at a reasonable
>price, but if the price per plate is not an issue there probably are
>more options possible such as glass bottom plates.
>
>An alternative for the COSTAR plates is Greiner, but I myself don't have
>enough experience with their plates.
>
>Note: I have no comercial interest in any assay plate provider and my
>message here is based on my own (limited) experience.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Peter Van Osta
>
>Union Biometrica N.V./S.A.
>European Scientific Operations (ESO)
>Cipalstraat 3
>B-2440 Geel
>Belgium
>Tel.: +32 (0)14 570 619
>Fax.: +32 (0)14 570 621
>
>http://www.unionbio.com/
>
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pvosta/cvwww.htm

>Date:    Wed, 9 Apr 2003 11:37:25 -0400
>From:    Sarah Locknar <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: plastic on inverted scope
>
>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Hi-
>I have a couple of users who want to image cells grown in plastic
>microwell plates on an inverted scope.  Of course, the plastic is too
>thick to image through, but when I suggested that they grow them on
>glass coverslips they replied that the cells don't stick as well and
>grow differently on similarly coated glass.  Is it possible to buy
>microwell plates with thinner plastic bottoms, and where would I buy
>such a thing?  In previous postings I got the feeling that the only
>available ones had glass coverslip bottoms.  Also, would the images
>suffer greatly when imaging through plastic versus glass?  Would a
>better option be to just get a longer-working distance lens?
>Thanks in advance-
>Sarah

>Sarah Locknar, Ph.D.
>Director, Neuroscience COBRE Imaging/Physiology Core
>University of Vermont
>802-656-0413

Florian Ulrich
Heisenberg Lab
Max-Planck-Institute for Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics
Pfotenhauerstrasse 108
01307 Dresden
Germany
phone: (+49) 351 210 2689