CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2003

From:
Alejandro Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:47:22 -0400

Thank you for all the Help! (keep comments coming!, I will solve this!)

The system running the Pascal is a Pentium4 Workstation under WindowsNT4. I
believe that the RAM memory is adequate (260MB). No image processing or
other programs are run in this computer, nor a large amount of windows are
opened during scanning operations. One of the first things that I corrected
was the time allowance in switching from Vis to LSM since this error
commonly occurs if you ask for a scan while on visual mode (and will then
repeat constantly). We can still get errors if operating after all the
filters have moved into position. Since the error is FW1 (first Filter
Wheel), I looked at the reflector turret function (Edward Cho´s advice)and
while it appears to work smoothly, I have always looked suspiciously at the
sounds that occur while changing filter sets (kind of a repetitive “clack”
that the Zeiss representative says is normal). Could a this be a mistiming
between the computer and the hardware? (computer ready, filters not there
yet?). My first “crazy” conclusion was that the lubrication of the filter
wheel could be affected by the air-conditioning in the microscope room,
thus explaining why this trouble occurs more often in microscope runs made
after 14.30 hrs (after 5 hours of AC work), still, other comments lead me
to believe that reflector turret lubrication could be deficient or the ball
bearings could be damaged. Just how noisy are filter changes in the
Axiovert?

Thank you all again for all the feedback!

Alejandro

Alejandro D. Roth PhD
FONDAP Center for Cell Regulation and Pathology
Faculty of Biological Science
Catholic University of Chile