CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2003

From:
"tony collins (BI)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:35:43 +0100

Hi Pauline,

I'm not sure what you mean by "unprofessional"? ImageJ won't do video transitions, although, to be honest I haven't tried. For home movies of the kids I use the free Windows XP Movie maker (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/moviemaker/downloads/moviemaker2.asp) which does do transitions - you can make the kids explode and all sorts...
It should work with microscopy movies too. For timelapse microscopy movies I find ImageJ does all I need it to.

If you want your movie to show your time-lapse experiment to put in to powerpoint or as a downloadable file then ImageJ is great (and free). It has plugins to export AVIs and quicktime, will timestamp each frame (antialased text, the font size and colour of your choice), event stamp designated frames, add scale bars of your choice, you can customise the LUT and framerate and it has the usual raft of filters.

If you want something more fancy (e.g. a graph of intensity vs time appearing along-side and in-sync with the movie), I find Macromedia FlashMX excellent (importing of movies was introduced with FlashMX v6). Not least because of the large, helpful web-community associated with Flash. Flash will import AVIs (maybe MOV - haven't tried) allowing you greater control of the movie, e.g. use keyboard arrow keys to scroll back and forth through the movie; stop, start, end buttons; adjustable frame rate etc. I'm no expert with it and have achieved this with help from the on-line community. Flash will also export AVI's. I think you can get an "educational" version which is fairly cheap.

Email me off list if you need help with any of this.

Regards

Tony

  Senior Research Associate
  Laboratory of Molecular Signalling
  Babraham Institute
  Babraham
  Cambridge, UK
  CB2 4AT
  Tel: +44 (0)1223 496499
  Fax: +44 (0)1223 496043

  The contents of this e-mail are the views of the sender and
 do not necessarily represent the views of The Babraham
 Institute or of BBSRC.  This e-mail is confidential. It
 should not be read, copied, disclosed or used by any person
 other than the intended recipient. Unauthorised use, disclosure
 or copying by whatever medium is strictly prohibited and may
 be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error please
 contact the sender immediately and delete the e-mail from
 your system.
  Although we have taken steps to check that this e-mail and
 attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in
 keeping with good computing practice the recipient should
 also ensure they are actually virus free.