CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2003

From:
andrea manazza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:34:32 +0200

Good morning to all of you.
I've just started a few weeks ago performing time-lapses on my TCS SP2
scope and I had to face a nasty trouble: I'm working on COS or NIH3T3
cells, transfected with a chimeric GFP protein supposed to cooperate
with actin during adhesion/migration processes. I'd like to see its
movements during both processes.
I've been suggested by a more experienced colleague, who works fine on
an old SP1, to keep the detection pinhole opened, put the objective in
the vey middle of the dish -supposing you have cells there- and keep
the laser as low as possible.
Unlikely, after no more than 20', I start loosing the cells: they seem
to disappear, ruffles before and - from the outskirts inside - even the
nucleus: I then decided to move the objective down, some 2 microns/10',
and then I could keep the cells visible. I thought it could be due to
the adhesion process, but it kept on going even after 8 hours...quite
odd isn't it?
I know it might be quite trivial, but I'm not as experienced as most of
you.
Any suggestion and criticism would be gratefully accepted, both for the
loss of focus trouble and for some other related, useful tricks.
Thank you in advance, and have a nice time.
Andrew

dott. Andrea Manazza
Dipartimento di Oncologia, Università di Torino
CeRMS, ospedale Molinette
Via Santena, 7 - 10126 Torino, Italia
tel: +39-11-6706522
lab: +39-11-6336859