CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2005

Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:21:02 -0800

Hi Bob,

I completely agree with you. The manufacturers should be held
accountable, especially since you demonstrated that with proper
servicing, each PMT, and its pathway, can be adjusted to yielded the
same result.

I am wondering if the service adjustments made that you refer to,
which resulted in consistent spectral results from each PMT, happen
to involve any pinhole and PMT voltage re-settings that were recorded
and could be referred to in the current context? I also wonder how
the spectral quality of each PMT of the current circumstance matches
the spectra obtained post servicing that was referred to in the paper?

For example, with a pinhole of 1 Airy diameter are the spectra of
PMTs 1, 2 , and 3 superimposable on the data obtained previously for
tubes 1 and 2 but not 3, since the latter has apparent broadening but
not 1 and 2? What about S/N?

Forgive me, I don't have the paper in front of me, but when you
compared the three different Leicas after servicing, did PMTs 1, 2,
and 3 for each microscope yield the same spectra. I.E., was
instrument to instrument consistent as opposed to self consistency of
PMTs within a single instrument? This relates somewhat to the
following.

I am also wondering that when you originally obtained self consistent
spectra, these spectra gave you the narrowest peaks (least line
broadening) and best S/N per peak. I just want to be clear that
getting self consistent results doesn't mean that you end up with
some good but not absolutely the best spectra obtainable. It would
not be surprising that one PMT option would give you a better
spectrum particularly over a certain wavelength range. In your SP1,
it was mentioned that PMT 2 and 3 use the same PMTs so presumably
they would have the same quantum detection efficiency (QDE). PMT 1
assuming it is a different PMT would have a different QDE. I admit to
being ignorant when it comes to the SP1 but to get spectra from
different PMTs to overlay means that they have to be calibrated and a
correction curve (or function) has to be estimated to account for the
different light sensitivities at different wavelengths. As I have
indicated before, PMTs can be different even if they nominally have
the identical part number. They can also change with time and with
the exact area of exposure on the photo-cathode. Again, the service
records should be able to tell you if the QDE corrections were
re-estimated, with new parameters determined so that "computed"
outputs match for each PMT. The latter is made mostly irrelevant if
some kind of detector ratio system is used but I assume that it is
not part of the standard MIDL assembly, that was put together for
instrument comparison. (Bob, I apologize if its in the paper).

As far as the slider, it would seem that significant differences
should show up in S/N, and as pointed out, that would give better
spectra if the 1 Airy setting is providing too few photons. Of
course, using a 10x lens with a lamp should provide a lot of photons.
Which brings up the light PMT saturation issue.

Good luck, Bob. I look forward to your solution.

Mario
PS wish I could be there. I really curious. Must find your paper, it
is here somewhere

Mario M. Moronne, Ph.D.
NanoMed Technologies LLC
President and CTO