CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2005

Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 01:14:08 +1000

Well, Jim's given his approach.  Personally I wouldn't
even try to adjust the correction collar in confocal
opration - I'd always set it in widefield before starting
confocal acquisition.  There is no reason for it to be
different in confocal mode.  Furthermore, there's no
reason for it to be different in fluorescence than in
brightfield.  Therefore if your sample would bleach while
you adjusted in fluorescence, go to regular transmitted
light.  There will almost always be some sort of dark
speck you can use - maybe a liposome, maybe (dare I say
it?) a speck of contaminant.  In fluorescence we are often
looking at sub-resolution structures so the sample itself
will usually offer suitable features.  Yes, it is a little
bit tedious because the focus changes, but like everything
else, the more often you do it the easier it gets.

                                                  Guy

--
Associate Professor Guy Cox
Electron Microscope Unit,

Phone:+61 2 9351 3176    Fax:+61 2 9351 7682
http://www.guycox.net