CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2005

Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 03:24:46 +1000

I have to agree completely with what Beat says.

I'd also like to correct a mistake I made in a
above the tube lens since it must be at the image plane.
It is, however below the eyepiece so if the eyepiece
is involved in the correction (as it was on most
160mm tube length systems) there will be a problem.

Here at the EMBO course some manufacturers were
showing actual curves of focus divergence with
wavelength (which was nice) and it's clear that
up to 500nm within the visible range is quite a
possible figure.  If this seems bad reflect that
it's only around 0.025% while the refractive index
is changing by 1%.  One point that was very obvious
was that once out of the corrected range (eg in the
violet) you are going to be very much adrift.  So
use a violet corrected lens if you're working at 405
or 440nm.

                                         Guy

--
Associate Professor Guy Cox
Electron Microscope Unit,

Phone:+61 2 9351 3176    Fax:+61 2 9351 7682
http://www.guycox.net