CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2005

From:
Tony Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:09:17 -0400

There's a bit about toxicity in a paper by Scaduto and Grotyohann:

Scaduto RC Jr, Grotyohann LW. Measurement of mitochondrial membrane
potential using fluorescent rhodamine derivatives. Biophys J. 1999
Jan;76(1 Pt 1):469-77. PMID: 9876159

There's also a nice chapter on 'monitoring mitochondrial function in
single cells' by Mojet et al. in 'Calcium Signalling - A practical
approach' Ed. Tepikin 2nd edition 2001. Oxford. This covers a range of
dyes, not just calcium-dyes. One of the sections is specfically on
toxity. They point out that DiOC6 is almost as toxic as rotenone!

My experience is that you can induce mitochondrial permeability
transition quite easily by imaging TMRE. This was useful to investigate
mitochondrial connectivity but not helpful for long term studies!

Regards,

Tony

--
Tony Collins, Ph.D.