CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2005

Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 03:33:08 +1000

This is all a very interesting question.  First of all,
you do really mean axial CA not lateral CA?  I would
have thought that the axial resolution of any Nipkow-disk
system would not reach 500nm so that it would be hard to
measure such an amount of CA.

With an achromat you are normally bringing blue & red to
the same focus so green emission will be quite noticeably
out.  A fluorite lens narrows the gap a lot but still has
the same basic correction.  An apochromat should be pretty
good so long as you stay within its correction range -
violet and far-red will definitely screw things up.  In
a confocal system it all gets more complex since the question
of your excitation focus and your emission focus being identical
comes into the equation.

As for lateral CA, there you can be in big trouble with a
spinning disk.  The trouble is that most manufacturers use
the tube lens and/or the eyepiece to correct it - but your disk
comes before either of these.  So you will see strange colour
effects at the edge of your image since the imaged spot will
miss the pinhole.  Nikon reportedly does all its correction
in the objective so if this is true a Nikon microscope should
be the best one to use for any spinning disk application.  Any
comment from Nikon or other manufacturers here?

                                              Guy

--
Associate Professor Guy Cox
Electron Microscope Unit,

Phone:+61 2 9351 3176    Fax:+61 2 9351 7682
http://www.guycox.net