CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2006

From:
Dorothy Mundy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:46:56 -0600

Hi
I have recently embarked on flow cytometry and am interested in
combining that with looking at intracellular markers by microscopy.
Does anyone know why the commonly used flow dye PE (phycoerythrin)  is
rarely (to never)  used for immunofluorescence microscopy? I went ahead
and stained with a PE labeled antibody and found a confocal that should
have allowed me to combine the right ex/em wavelengths to see it and
could not (although it was easily seen by flow cytometry). The
excitation spectra of PE is very broad and that would make it hard to
combine with other dyes but is there something else that makes it
unsuitable for immunofluorescence. A flow person suggested that flow
cytometry is so much more sensitive that you might not expect to see
it. Perhaps someone has direct experience and can advise me.

Thanks

Dorothy

PS   When I stain cell surface labeled cells using my normal
immunofluorescence protocol for an intracellular antigen developed for
microscopy  I do seem to get a very high background in the flow
cytometer with my normal rabbit serum control. By microscopy the
difference is like night and day but  by flow there was a huge
background so any insight into why or how to reduce that would be nice
too (this was using  an anti-rabbit Alexa 488 secondary) Merci!
____________________________________
Dorothy I. Mundy, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Hematology Oncology
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75390-8565

Phone: 214-648-1909

Dorothy I. Mundy, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Hematology Oncology, NB7.116
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75390-8565

Phone: 214-648-1909