CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2006

From:
Kevin Braeckmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 07:10:22 +0200

You are right, it is also our experience that you can increase the overlay
accuracy by a more complex transformation than a simple translation. In our
case it is in a non-confocal application, but the principle stays the same.
By using a general affine transformation instead of a simple translation we
can increase the average overlay accuracy from approx. 0.5 micron to approx.
10 nm (this is in 2D). You could even use more complex transformations
(projective or even non-linear ones), but 10 nm is around the accuracy with
which we can determine the (Gaussian) centres of fluorescent beads.

(An affine transformation is a general combination of translation, scaling
along x, scaling along y, rotation, shear (i.e. transformation of angles),
and reflection along x and/or y.)

Before the actual experiments we take a dual channel image of Tetra Speck
beads. An image processing program we wrote in Matlab then calculates the
affine transformation parameters based on the (Gaussian) centres of the
beads. Finally, the dual channel movies are automatically overlayed using
those transformation parameters.

If you like you can send me a dual channel image of the Tetra Speck beads
(at least 4 beads in the image as widely spread as possible) and I could
check by how much you can improve the accuracy by using the more general
afiine transformation (maybe your confocal is already good as it is and a
translation is all you need).

Also, I think about 2 weeks ago someone on the list asked about the
registration accuracy of other confocal users. Maybe this person meanwhile
can share the information obtained from other confocalists what is the
overlay accuracy that is generally obtained on confocal microscopes?

Best regards,

Kevin

Kevin Braeckmans, Ph.D.
Lab. General Biochemistry & Physical Pharmacy
Ghent University
Harelbekestraat 72
9000 Ghent
Belgium