CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2006

Sender:
From:
Jeremy Adler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:25:45 +0100

We spent some time looking at starch and dough with a MRC 600 confocal

the simplest way of looking at dough was to add fluorescein, not attached to anything, to the mix. rising dough was imaged by attaching a dollop to a coverslip and loosely covering the exposed surface with cling film to prevent evapouration. Image the area under the coverslip. On an upright microscope the coverslip had to be raised about 15 mm to give space for the dough to rise.

we also tried gluten tagged with FITC

starch garnules were imaged using Congo Red and acridine orange, we also used a tranmission detector to acquire polarised images

see ref.

Adler J., Baldwin P.M. & Melia C.D.

Starch Damage Part 2: types of damage in ball-milled potato starch, upon hydration observed by confocal microscopy.

Starke 252-256, 46, 1994.

Jeremy Adler
Cell Biology
The Wenner-Gren Inst.