CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2006

From:
"S. Brunet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:22:45 -0600

Hello to all,

I have a user who mixed two immersion oil types (Immersol 518F and Cargille 37).
 I tried to clean it with hexane (worked fine on the 37 oil before when not
contaminated with the 518F), acetone, methanol, and ethanol using Kodak lens
paper (lots of it).  (OK, I did not expect the last two solvents to work...)
The bulk is gone, but there is goop left on the lens.

What else can I use?  It seems that 'I drag the goop around' when I clean the
lens.  I do not want to soak the oil immersion objective in an organic solvent
for longer than necessary.  This objective is heavily used and I am trying to
avoid buying a new one (and the down time of waiting for a new one).  Xylene
does not sound good for the glue.  Toluene and glue... ?  CFCs?  Dawn soap?

Regards,
Sophie
_______________________________________
Sophie M.K. Brunet, Ph.D.
Research Officer
Optical Spectroscopist, Laser Systems and Applications
306-966-1719 (office)   306-966-1702 (fax)
Saskatchewan Structural Sciences Centre
University of Saskatchewan
Thorvaldson Bldg.
110 Science Place