CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2006

Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 23:36:21 +1100

Yes, sorry for my mistake about the Olympus system, which
Adrian also pointed out.  But the purpose of my post was
to highlight the difference between the technologies, not
to promote any specific make.

A further point that needs to be made is that Nyquist
applies to spectra too.  So to say that the Zeiss has
10nm resolution is not quite true if it has 10nm per
channel.  This means it has 23 nm resolution.  So with
a Leica, if you set the slit to 5nm (minimum value on an
SP2) you must set the step to 2nm to collect a spectrum
with a true 5nm resolution (and the same would apply to
the Olympus).

Having said all this I agree completely about the relative
merits of the two technologies.

                                                   Guy

--
Associate Professor Guy Cox