CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2007

From:
Guenter Giese <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 11:36:55 +0100

------=neXtPaRt_1173350221

Hi Jens,

this depends on the combination of objective used, desired imaging depth
etc.

I assume you want to image tissue of 100 micrometer thickness or more,
probably with a higher N.A objective calculated for use with a # 1.5 (0.17
mm) cover slip.

I recommend usage of a medium with a refractive index of around 1.45 (e.g.
for the LEICA 63x glycerol lens or the respective ZEISS 63x immersion lens).
The final refractive index should closely match the refractive index of the
immersion medium the lens is calculated for. Minor aberrations causing
spherical aberration in many cases can be corrected for by an objective
correction collar. But for but best correction across the whole imaging
depth the refractive indices should match precisely. In addition, the
correction collar should be adjusted carefully at the begin of the scanning
session.

We routinely use 80% glycerol in PBS pH 8.9 plus antifade (1% DABCO) or
Citifluor or SlowFade Gold adjusted to a refractive index of 1.45 with
glycerol (adjust pH). The antifade used depends on the fluorochrome
combination used.

For clearing, I recommend to change the final clearing/immersion medium at
least once (total time: at least 5 hours, maybe overnight at room temp.).
Clearing speed is lowered with temperature because of increasing viscosity
of glycerol.

Use cover slip strips as spacers between slide and cover slip and fix coveer
slip with nail hardener.

Such a sample can also be imaged with lower magnification objectives (e.g.
20x, 10x immersion objectives).

You may contact me for more details.

Guenter

Dr. Guenter Giese
Light Microscopy Facility Manager
Dept. of Biomedical Optics
MPI fuer Medizinische Forschung Jahnstr. 29
D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone (+49) 6221-486-360 (Fax: -325)
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://lightmicro.mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de