CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2007

From:
Caroline Bass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2007 22:54:51 -0400

Your results will vary by cell line.  Some cells withstand the -80
storage better than others.  In general -80 is not good for primary
cells, although I think some very proliferative cells can take it.
Also consider that viability isn't the only problem.  If your
recovery rate is very low you increase the chances of establishing a
cell line that is phenotypically distinct from the original.  You see
this a lot with PC12 cells.  If you have no choice I'd wager that the
quality of the freezing could improve your recovery even if you are
storing at -80.  Try one of the devices for slowly freezing vials.
Corning and fisher sell a slow freezing cooler that you put in the
-80 to achieve a gradual cool down.