CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2007

From:
ian gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 09:19:31 +0930

Hello Judy

We've been thinking about this issue as well. There also is the
possibility of setting up sets of images for teaching purposes.

We've had a look at the Olympus system, which has an interesting
solution to the image size problem (Other companies may use something
similar - don't know...). From my understanding, the base image files
are indeed large, but highly compressed. When you view them, only the
current area is decompressed on the fly - a bit like what happens in
GoogleEarth, I think. If the images are held on a central server, you
don't need large storage requirements on the users' computers. The cost
of storage is so low now and networks are now sufficiently fast that
this seems a pretty good set-up.

With a system like this, I'd expect you'd only use subsets of the data
for quantitative analysis in your favourite program.

I'd be interested in hearing other  ideas or info on this area too.

IAN

On Thursday, May 10, 2007, at 02:16  AM, Judy Trogadis wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Dear List:
>
> During the last year I have attended sevaral demonstrations of whole
> slide image capture devices. For example, the TISSUEscope (Biomedical
> Photometrics) describes brightfield, fluorescence and confocal imaging
> and others - the Aperio - does brightfield imaging. There are others.
>
> Does this emerging technology have a place in a core imaging facility -
> in other words, do users find that it replaces some other microscope
> modalities, e.g. I can see it very useful for measuring the frequency
> of
> rare events since they can see the entire slide.
>
> My worry is that the data files are huge. Can analysis packages handle
> it easily? Do all computers have to be updated (64-bit, limitless RAM)?
> High throughput analysis to me implies speedy analysis, don't want to
> watch endless loading times, computer crashes.
>
> I am curious about hearing any experience from users of whole slide
> scanners.
>
> Thank you.
> Judy
>
> Judy Trogadis