CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2007

From:
Sven Terclavers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 20:54:59 +0200

Years ago (though not that much either), for my thesis, I needed some
images at high magnification of a fungus and its spores.  For obvious
reasons, my promoter advised me to contact someone at the KULeuven
university to acquire SEM-images.  When I passed the doorstep, the
?SEM-lady? looks at me and tells me: ?You don?t think I?m gonna scan
for you, you?ll do it yourself, and you?ll do it with this SEM from
the 60?s?.  After getting the appropriate introduction and of course
constant guidance, she taught me how the images were formed, what
happened if I changed this, adjusted that etc. I mean, sitting behind
that microscope was as if I was sitting inside a spaceship:
impressive!  But!  I learned how to ?feel? the microscope and how an
image is created.

At that point, I really felt as if I CREATED the image, and that?s
something I lose sometimes in automation, now the computer creates the
image for you.

When I nowadays have to train someone to work with the microscope,
whether it?s epi-fluorescence or two-photon / confocal microscopy, I
always start from the basics onwards and make sure the students (PhDs
and Post-docs) know how the ?thing? works, I don?t want them to be
acquiring images as blind moles.  Of course, if they afterwards decide
to only use the automatic functions, that?s their good right, but they
always leave with a feeling of ?well, I learned something in
microscopy?, and I never got to hear that ?it was a waste of time
since automation could do the job as well as fully manually adjusting
all?.

But then again, I also am thankful for automation.  As previously
stated, on a well calibrated system one can work faster without having
to worry about certain settings which are default for his/her type of
research.  I also use it and especially, if you work for a professor
who wants results yesterday, as I do ?, you?d be happy to have it.
And actually, most of the students use ?my? settings, simply by
pushing the re-use button of an image I previously acquired for them.
But that one time that they have to interfere, they will know how, and
especially what the effect is of adjusting this or that.

To summarize, for me, automation is a very good thing, but two main
rules have to be present: 1. you (can) control it and 2. you know what
you are doing!  After all, YOU are still the microscopist, not the
computer.

Sven Terclavers