CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2007

From:
Dirk Dormann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 16:04:44 +0100

Hi Claire,

we have had similar problems trying to track migrating cells in
sequences recorded using brightfield. However the simple trick in our
case was simply to use an
edge detection filter first to recognise the cell outline (I'm not that
familiar with Metamorph, I think I was using a Sobel filter in Optimas,
but similar filters are probably implemented in Metamorph as well). We
then used the another filter operation to fill the outlined cells
followed finally by thresholding of the cell and binarisation. Once
binarised it would of course simply be a matter of counting binarised
objects of a certain size or so.

Dirk

>>> Claire Brown <[log in to unmask]> 02/05/2007 14:56 >>>

I have a user interested in using metamorph to count cells in
DIC/brightfield. There is not a lot of contrast between the cells and
the
background. How do people manage to count with these kinds of images?

Sincerely,

Claire

Claire M. Brown, PhD

Life Sciences Complex Imaging Facility Director

McGill University Department of Biochemistry

 <http://www.lifesciencescomplex.mcgill.ca/imaging>